Qutaiba sentence example
- The numerous quotations of Ibn Qutaiba in the Uyun ul-Akhbdr (ed.
- Thus government, war, friendship, morality, piety, eloquence, are some of the titles under which Ibn Qutaiba groups his stories and verses in the `Uyun ul Akhbar.
- Tabari and his contemporaries, senior and junior, such as Ibn Qutaiba, Ya`gubi, Dinawari, preserve to us a good part of the information about Persian history made known through such translations.'
- A high place must be assigned to the historian Ibn Qutaiba or Kotaiba (d.
- In the fourth century of Islam the two schools of Kufa and Basra declined in importance before the increasing power of Bagdad, where Ibn Qutaiba, Ibn Jinni (941-1002) and others carried on the work, but without the former rivalry of the older schools.Advertisement
- It is said that he retired from all active, public life and even neglected plain, public duties, replying to reproaches, "Not every one can speak in his own excuse" (Ibn Qutaiba, Ma 'arif, 250).
- It seems certain that he did suffer imprisonment and beating for this reason, at the hands of an earlier governor of Kufa under the Omayyads (Ibn Qutaiba, Ma`arif, p. 248).
- the Story of the Death of Hosain by the pseudo-Abu Mikhnaf (translated by Wustenfeld); the Conquest of Syria by Abu Isma`il al-Basri (edited by Nassau aees, Calcutta, 1854, and discussed by de Goeje, 1864); the pseudo-Wagidi (see Hamaker, De Expugnatione Memphidis et Alexandriae, aeiden, 1835); the pseudo-Ibn Qutaiba (see Dozy, Recherches); the book ascribed to A`sam Kufi, &c. Further inquiry into the origin of these works is called for, but some of them were plainly directed to stirring up fresh zeal against the Christians.