Quirinius sentence example
- The first procurator Coponius was accompanied by P. Sulpicius Quirinius, legate of Syria, who came to organize the new Roman province.
- In Strabo's time they had passed under the Roman dominion, though still governed by their own petty chiefs and retaining to a considerable extent their predatory habits (giving rise to such wars as that carried on by Quirinius, about 8-6 B.C.).
- - The birth of Christ took place at the time of a general census of the empire ordered by Augustus: " it was the first census, and was made at the time when Quirinius was governor of Syria."
- 6, Quirinius was governor of Syria, and did carry out an elaborate census.
- 20, the periodic census should fall in 9 B.C., but Ramsay alleges various;causes for delay, which would have postponed the actual execution of the census till 7 B.C., and supposes that Quirinius was an imperial commissioner specially appointed to carry it out.Advertisement
- St Luke's statement of a general census is in all probability erroneous, and the introduction of the name Quirinius appears to be due to confusion with the census of A.D.
- But St Luke's account, when the name of Quirinius is subtracted from it, ceases to contain any chronological evidence.