Quicumque sentence example
- From this it is a short step to say with the Quicumque vult that the Spirit proceeds from the Son, while guarding the idea that the Father is the one fountain of Deity.
- Athanasius," is more accurately designated by its first words Quicumque vult.'
- Swainson thought that the Quicumque was brought into its present shape in the 9th century.
- The Quicumque occurs in a collection of materials forming an introduction to the psalter.
- The suggestion has been made that Leidrad intended to use the Quicumque in his campaign against the Adoptianists in 798.Advertisement
- There is a reference to the Quicumque in the first canon of the fourth council of Toledo of the year 633, which quotes part or the whole of clauses 4, 20-22, 28 f., 3 1, 33, 35 1., 40.
- The council also quoted phrases from the so-called Creed of Damasus, a document of the 4th century, which in some cases they preferred to the phrases of the Quicumque.
- The use, however, of the Quicumque by Caesarius as a catechism may be explained by the suggestion that it had been taught him in his youth, so that his style had been moulded by it.
- They tend in any case to prove that the Quicumque comes to us from the school of Lerins, of which Honoratus was the first abbot, and to which Caesarius also belonged.
- The earliest use of the Quicumque was in sermons, in which the clauses were quoted, as by the council of Toledo without reference to the creed as a whole.Advertisement