Pontoise sentence example
- He was a great builder, Rouen, Mont St Michel, Pontoise and Gaillon owing many noble buildings to his initiative.
- Skirting the forests of Compiegne, Halatte and Chantilly, all on its left bank, and receiving near Creil the Therain and the Breche, the river flows past Pontoise and debouches into the Seine 39 m.
- Charles himself commanded the troops who captured Pontoise in 1441, and in the next year he made a successful expedition in the south.
- He was present in 1439 at the taking of Meaux, in 1441 at that of Pontoise, and he died on the 24th of May 1446.
- He assisted in the defence of Meaux (1439), of Creil and of Pontoise (1441), and must have died between 1450 and 1456.Advertisement
- William demanded reparation for the raid of Philip's vassals and the cession of Pontoise, Chaumont-en-Vexin and Mantes, but died after sacking Mantes in the same year.
- He was born at St Germain, entered the priesthood and was successively cure of Elan near Mezieres, vicar-general of Pontoise (1747), bishop of Evreux (1753) and archbishop of Toulouse (1758), archbishop of Narbonne in 1763, and in that capacity, president of the estates of Languedoc. He devoted himself much less to the spiritual direction of his diocese than to its temporal welfare, carrying out many works of public utility, bridges, canals, roads, harbours, &c.; had chairs of chemistry and of physics created at Montpellier and at Toulouse, and tried to reduce the poverty, especially in Narbonne.