Pomuk sentence example
- The archbishop opposed this plan, and by his orders his vicar-general, John of Pomuk - son of a German named WSlfel, a citizen of Pomuk - advised the monks to elect a new abbot immediately after Racek's death.
- This greatly incensed the king, who summoned the archbishop and some of his clergy - among whom was Pomuk - to appear before him.
- He ordered them to be immediately arrested, and though the archbishop escaped his four companions - among them Pomuk - were seized and subjected to cruel torture.
- They were ordered to abandon the archbishop. Three of them consented, but Pomuk, who refused to submit and was already on the point of death, was carried to the bridge of Prague and thrown into the Vltava.
- The Austrian chronicler Thomas Ebendorffer of Haselbach, who lived two generations later, first states that it was reported that King Wenceslaus had ordered that the confessor of his queen - an office that John of Pomuk never held - should be thrown into the Vltava because he would not reveal the secret of confession.Advertisement
- It appears certain that the person canonized in 1729 was not the historical John of Pomuk or Nepomuk.