Poinsot sentence example
- The lectures attracted hearers so eminent as Humboldt the cosmologist, Poinsot the geometer and Blainville the physiologist.
- Lagrange, in 1813, Poinsot was elected to his place in the Academie des Sciences; and in 1840 he became a member of the superior council of public instruction.
- Poinsot's earliest work was his Elemens de statique (1803; 9th edition, 1848), in which he introduces the idea of statical couples and investigates their properties.
- The previous treatment of the motion of a rigid body had in every case been purely analytical, and so gave no aid to the formation of a mental picture of the body's motion; and the great value of this work lies in the fact that, as Poinsot himself says in the introduction, it enables us to represent to ourselves the motion of a rigid body as clearly as that of a moving point.
- In addition to publishing a number of works on geometrical and mechanical subjects, Poinsot also contributed a number of papers on pure and applied mathematics to Lionville's Journal and other scientific periodicals.Advertisement
- Poinsot, who first systematically investigated its properties, a couple.
- These results are due to Poinsot.
- Poinsot, and the line of action of R was called by him the central axis of the system.
- The question was first discussed by Euler (1750); the geometrical representation to be given is due to Poinsot (1851).
- Poinsot gave the formula E 2k = eV + F, in which k is the number of times the projections of the faces from the centre on to the surface of the circumscribing sphere make up the spherical surface, the area of a stellated face being reckoned once, and e is the ratio " angles at a vertex /21r" as projected on the sphere, E, V, F being the same as before.Advertisement