Pogonatus sentence example
- Constantine was martyred 684 by Simeon whom Constantine Pogonatus had sent to repress the movement.
- Pogonatus (the "bearded"), son of Constans II., was emperor from 668 to 685.
- Mezetius, commander of the Eastern army of Constans, revolted, but Sicily and Roman Italy kept their allegiance to the new emperor Constantine Pogonatus, who came in person to destroy him.
- It is said that in the reign of Constantine Pogonatus (648-685) an architect named Callinicus, who had fled from Heliopolis in Syria to Constantinople, prepared a wet fire which was thrown out from siphons (TO bta Twv o wwwv ic4 €pbjsevov 7rUp u-ypov), and that by its aid the ships of the Saracens were set on fire at Cyzicus and their defeat assured.
- With the accession of Constantine Pogonatus in 668 the controversy once more revived, and the new emperor resolved to summon a general council.Advertisement