Podest sentence example
- Frederick placed judges of his own appointment, with the title of podest, in all the Lombard commu1ies; and this stretch of his authority, while it exacerbated his foes, forced even his friends to join their ranks against him.
- Invariably a foreigner, elected for a year with power of life and death and control of the armed force, but subject to a strict account at the expiration of his office, the podest might be compared to a dictator invested with limited authority.
- The podest marks an essentially transitional state in civic government, and his intervention paved the way for despotism.
- The thirteen districts in their council nominated four caporioni, who acted in concert with a senator, appointed, like the podest of other cities, for supreme judicial functions.
- Meanwhile the podest still subsists; but he is no longer equal to the task d maintaining an equilibrium of forces.Advertisement