Plevna sentence example
- Rumania joined the Russians, and in Europe no effective opposition was encountered by the invaders until the assaults on Plevna and the Shipka Pass, where the valiant resistance of the Turks won for them the admiration of Europe.
- Plevna surrendered on the 9th of December 1877 after a heroic struggle under Osman Pasha.
- Three main thoroughfares, the Plevna, Lipscani, and Vacaresci, skirt the left bank of the river; the Elizabeth Boulevard, and the Calea Victories, or " Avenue of Victory," which commemorates the Rumanian success at Plevna, in 1877, radiate east and north, respectively, from the Lipscani, and meet a broad road which surrounds all sides of Bucharest, except the north-west.
- The Cismegiu or Ci§migiu Park, which has a circumference of about r m., is laid out between the Plevna road and the Calea Victories; and there are botanical and zoological gardens.
- He commanded the Caucasian Cossack Brigade in the attack of the Green Hills at the second battle of Plevna.Advertisement
- He captured Lovtcha on the 3rd of September, and distinguished himself again in the desperate fighting on the Green Hills in the third battle of Plevna.
- Promoted to be a lieutenantgeneral, and given the command of the 16th Division, he took part in the investment of Plevna and also in the fight of the 9th of December, when Osman Pasha surrendered, with his army.
- In the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78 he joined the Russians before Plevna, and being placed in command of the combined Russian and Rumanian forces, forced Osman Pasha to surrender.
- The royal crown was constructed of steel made from Turkish cannon captured at Plevna.
- The Turks, entrenched at Plevna, delayed the Russian advance; and it was only towards the close of 1877 that Plevna at last fell and Turkish resistance collapsed.Advertisement