Phoronidea sentence example
- The question of their affinity to other divisions of the animal kingdom depends principally on the views which are held with regard to the relationships of the Enteropneusta and Phoronidea respectively.
- Brachiopods have been at various times placed with the Mollusca, the Chaetopoda, the Chaetognatha, the Phoronidea, the Polyzoa, the Hemichordata, and the Urochordata.
- On the view that the Phylactolaemata are nearly related to Phoronis (see Phoronidea), it is extremely difficult to draw any conclusions with regard to the significance of the facts of development.
- There are, indeed remarkable similarities between the external characters of the Phylactolaematous Polyzoa and the Phoronidea, and notably between their lophophores.
- In spite of the criticisms which have been made on the conclusion that Phoronis is allied to the Pterobranchia, it is thus possible that the view is a sound one, and that the Phoronidea should take their place, with the Enteropneusta and the Pterobranchia, as an order of the Hemichordata.Advertisement
- The Phoronidea (q.v.) are now associated with Hemichordata (q.v.) in the line of vertebrate ancestry, whilst the Chaetognatha (q.v.) remain in solitary isolation.
- Their relations to Phoronis are doubtful (see Phoronidea).