Philistus sentence example
- Even at that period, however, the silt brought down by the rivers rendered access to the harbour difficult, and the historian Philistus excavated a canal to give free access to the sea.
- His life was written by Philistus, but the work is not extant.
- All went well for a time; but Dionysius had Philistus and others about him, who were opposed to any kind of liberal reform, and the result was the banishment of Dion from Syracuse as a dangerous innovator.
- When Dion set sail from Zacynthus with the object of liberating Syracuse from the tyrannis, Philistus was entrusted with the command of the fleet, but he was defeated and put to death (356).
- During his stay at Adria, Philistus occupied himself with the composition of his EtKEXuca, a history of Sicily in eleven books.Advertisement
- From this point the work was carried on by Philistus's fellow countryman Athanas.
- Dionysius vented his wrath on those who were nearest to him, banishing many, among them his brother Leptines and his earliest friend Philistus, and putting many to death.
- The tyranny of Dionysius fell, as usual, in the second generation; but it was kept up for ten years after his death by the energy of Philistus, now minister of his son Dionysius the Younger.
- Like Peisistratus, he was fond of having distinguished literary men about him, such as the historian Philistus, the poet Philoxenus, and the philosopher Plato, but treated them in a most arbitrary manner.