Pevensey sentence example
- The duke and his Normans were enabled, by Tostig's invasion of northern England, to land unmolested at Pevensey on the 28th of September 1066.
- This naval battle, known to the French as Bevisier (a corruption of Pevensey), was fought on the 30th of June 1690.
- When the tide turned the allies retreated to the Thames, abandoning several of the most damaged ships in Pevensey Bay.
- Folkestone and Pevensey stand where the two ends of the broken ring meet the sea.
- Pevensey Castle may bear witness to a troublesome past but its current tranquility almost belies the existence of such an age.Advertisement
- To Hastings were attached the corporate_ members of Pevensey and Seaford, and the non-corporate members of Bulvarhythe, Petit Iham (Yham or Higham), Hydney, Bekesbourn, Northeye and Grenche or Grange; to Romney, Lydd, and Old Romney, Dengemarsh, Orwaldstone, and Bromehill or Promehill; to Dover, Folkestone and Faversham, and Margate, St John's, Goresend (now Birchington), Birchington Wood (now Woodchurch), St Peter's, Kingsdown and Ringwould; to Sandwich, Fordwich and Deal, and Walmer, Ramsgate, Reculver, Stonor (Estanor), Sarre (or Serre) and `Brightlingsea (in Essex).