Pertz sentence example
- In search of materials for this purpose, Pertz made a prolonged tour through Germany and Italy, and on his return in 1823 he received at the instance of Stein the principal charge of the publication of Monumenta germaniae historica, texts of all the more important historical writers on German affairs down to the year 1500, as well as of laws, imperial and regal archives, and other valuable documents, such as letters, falling within this period.
- Pertz made frequent journeys of exploration to the leading libraries and public record offices of Europe, publishing notes on the results of his explorations in the Archiv.
- In connexion with the Monumenta Pertz also began the publication of a selection of sources in octavo form, the Scriptores rerum germanicarum in usum scholarum; among his other literary labours may be mentioned an edition of the Gesammelte Werke of Leibnitz, and a life of Stein.
- It is the birthplace of Sir William Herschel, the astronomer, of the brothers Schlegel, of Ifliand and of the historian Pertz.
- Pertz collated more than sixty manuscripts for his edition of 1829, and others have since come to light.Advertisement
- On graduating at Berlin in August 1836, Waitz went to Hanover to assist Pertz in the great national work of publishing the Monumenta Germaniae historica; and the energy and learning he displayed in that position won him a summons to the chair of history at Kiel in 1842.
- In 1875 Waitz removed to Berlin to succeed Pertz as principal editor of the Monumenta Germaniae historica.
- Waitz is often spoken of as the chief disciple of Ranke, though perhaps in general characteristics and mental attitude he has more affinity with Pertz or Dahlmann.
- It was first edited in Pertz's vol.
- Pertz, the first volume of the Monumenta was published in 1826.Advertisement
- When Pertz resigned his editorial position in 1874 and the Gesellschaft was dissolved, twenty-four folio volumes had been published.
- The first half of the century (apart from the scientific activity of Pertz, Guizot, &c.) was largely dominated by the romanticists, with their exaggeration of the individual.
- Pertz, the editor of the Monumenta Germaniae historica, and edited the Regesta pontificum romanorum, 1198-1304 (Berlin, 1874-1875).
- A genealogical notice is furnished by the Chronicon of the monk Alberic (Aubry) of TroisFontaines, (Albericus Trium Fontium) in Pertz, Scriptores, vol.