Permocarboniferous sentence example
- The extraordinary abundance of Glossopteris in PermoCarboniferous rocks of Australia, and in strata of the same age in India and South Africa, gave rise to the term " Glossopteris flora for the assemblage of plants obtained from southern hemisphere rocks overlying beds containing Devonian and Lower Carboniferous fossils.
- These strata are homotaxial with PermoCarboniferous rocks in Europe and North America, as determined by the order of succession of the rocks, and by the occurrence of typical Palaeozoic shells in associated marine deposits.
- We have a flora of wide distribution in South Africa, South America, Borneo, Australia, Tasmania and India which is clearly of PermoCarboniferous age, but which differs in its composition from the flora of the same age in other parts of the world.
- We may next inquire what types occur in the Glossopteris flora agreeing more or less closely with members of the rich PermoCarboniferous vegetation of the north.
- The difference between the Glossopteris flora and those which have left traces in the Upper Gondwana rocks of India, in the Wianamatta and Hawkesbury beds of Australia, and in the Stormberg series of South Africa is much less marked than that between the PermoCarboniferous flora of the northern hemisphere and the succeeding Mesozoic vegetation.Advertisement