Pensees sentence example
- His Pensees, published posthumously, seems to have been meant for a systematic treatise, but it has come to us in fragments.
- The only authoritative source for the Sermons is the edition of Pere Bretonneau (14 vols., Paris, 1707-172 I, followed by the Pensees, 2 vols., 1734).
- Here in 1682 he published his famous Pensees diverses sur la comete de 1680 and his critique of Maimbourg's work on the history of Calvinism.
- The form of the Pensees forbids the attempt to evolve from their detached utterances a completely coherent system.
- In 1888 she received the Prix Botta, a prize awarded triennially by the French Academy, for her volume of prose aphorisms Les Pensees d'une reine (Paris, 1882), a German version of which is entitled Vom Amboss (Bonn, 1890).Advertisement
- Eight years after Pascal's death appeared what purported to be his Pensees, and a preface by his nephew Perier gave the world to understand that these were fragments of a great projected apology for Christianity which the author had, in conversation with his friends, planned out years before.
- The peculiarly disjointed and fragmentary condition of the sentiments expressed by Pascal aggravates the appearance of universal doubt which is present in the Pensees, just as the completely unfinished condition of the work, from the literary point of view, constantly causes slighter or graver doubts as to the actual meaning which the author wished to express.
- Accordingly the Pensees have always been a favourite exploring ground, not to say a favourite field of battle, to persons who take an interest in their problems. Speaking generally, their tendency is towards the combating of scepticism by a deeper scepticism, or, as Pascal himself calls it, Pyrrhonism, which occasionally goes the length of denying the possibility of any natural theology.
- He appears, as far as can be judged from the fragments of,his Pensees, to have seized firmly and fully the central idea of the difference between reason and religion.
- The chief nominally complete edition at present in existence is that of Bossut (1 779, 5 vols., and since reprinted), which not only appeared before any attempt had been made to restore the true text of the Pensees, but is in other respects quite inadequate.Advertisement
- The edition of Lahure, 1858, is not much better, though the Pensees appear in their more genuine form.
- P. Faugere has been executed as far as the Pensees go by Leon Brunschvig (3 vols., 1904), who has also issued a onevolume edition.
- He has published, besides the works already mentioned, Traite de mecanique rationnelle (1858); De l'analyse infinitesimale (1860, revised ed., 1881); Des pentes economiques en chemin de fer (1861); Emploi des eaux d'egout en agriculture (1869); Principes de l'assainissement des villes and Traite d'assainissement industriel (1870); Essai sur la philosophise des sciences (1896); La Question d'Egypte (1905); besides some remarkable "Pensees" contributed to the Contemporain under the pseudonym of "Alceste."
- As the results of his work in this line, we have, besides the Des Pensees de Pascal, 1842, Etudes sur les femmes et la societe du X VII e siècle, 1853.
- As the results of his work in this line, we have, besides the Des Pensees de Pascal, 1842, Etudes sur les femmes et la societe du X VII e siÃ¨cle, 1853.Advertisement