Patau syndrome sentence example
- An extra copy of chromosome 13 is not the only cause of Patau syndrome.
- Other changes in chromosome 13, such as mispositioning (translocation), can also result in the characteristics classified as Patau syndrome.
- Due to the severity of these conditions, fewer than 20 percent of those affected with Patau syndrome survive beyond infancy.
- As appears to be the case in all trisomies, the risks of Patau syndrome seem to increase with the mother's age, particularly if she is over 30 when pregnant.
- The severity and symptoms of Patau syndrome vary with the type of chromosomal anomaly, from extremely serious conditions to nearly normal appearance and functioning.Advertisement
- The facial features of many Patau syndrome affected individuals appear flattened.
- Some infants born with Patau syndrome have severe and incurable birth defects.
- Special diets, hearing aids, and vision aids can be used to mitigate some symptoms of Patau syndrome.
- Since the translocation form of Patau syndrome is genetically transmitted, genetic counseling for the parents should be part of the management of the disease.
- Most survivors have profound mental and physical disabilities; however, the capacity for learning in children with Patau syndrome varies from case to case.Advertisement
- There is no known way to prevent Patau syndrome though it can be diagnosed prenatally via amniocentesis.
- Parents of children born with Patau syndrome should prepare themselves for the possiblity of their child dying within days or weeks of birth, in addition to the poor survival rates past early childhood.