Patau sentence example
- Patau syndrome, also called trisomy 13, is a congenital (present at birth) disorder associated with the presence of an extra copy of chromosome 13.
- Patau syndrome is named for Klaus Patau, who reported the syndrome and its association with trisomy in 1960.
- Patau syndrome is trisomy 13, in which the developing embryo has three copies of chromosome 13.
- An extra copy of chromosome 13 is not the only cause of Patau syndrome.
- Other changes in chromosome 13, such as mispositioning (translocation), can also result in the characteristics classified as Patau syndrome.Advertisement
- Due to the severity of these conditions, fewer than 20 percent of those affected with Patau syndrome survive beyond infancy.
- Patau syndrome occurs in approximately one in 10,000 live births.
- As appears to be the case in all trisomies, the risks of Patau syndrome seem to increase with the mother's age, particularly if she is over 30 when pregnant.
- Patau syndrome affected individuals may be born either partially or totally deaf, and many are subject to recurring ear infections.
- The facial features of many Patau syndrome affected individuals appear flattened.Advertisement
- Patau syndrome is detectable during pregnancy through the use of ultrasound imaging, amniocentesis, and chorionic villus sampling (CVS).
- Patau syndrome is confirmed by the presence of three, rather than the normal two, copies of the thirteenth largest chromosome.
- Some infants born with Patau syndrome have severe and incurable birth defects.
- Special diets, hearing aids, and vision aids can be used to mitigate some symptoms of Patau syndrome.
- Since the translocation form of Patau syndrome is genetically transmitted, genetic counseling for the parents should be part of the management of the disease.Advertisement
- Most survivors have profound mental and physical disabilities; however, the capacity for learning in children with Patau syndrome varies from case to case.
- There is no known way to prevent Patau syndrome though it can be diagnosed prenatally via amniocentesis.
- Parents of children born with Patau syndrome should prepare themselves for the possiblity of their child dying within days or weeks of birth, in addition to the poor survival rates past early childhood.