Patara sentence example
- He entered Lycia and explored the Xanthus from the mouth at Patara upwards.
- Nine miles from Patara he discovered the ruins of Xanthus, the ancient capital of Lycia, finely situated on hills, and abounding in magnificent remains.
- His chief discoveries were at Xanthus, Pinara, Patara, Tlos, Myra and Olympus.
- Patara was the reputed birth-place of St Nicholas.
- At the entrance of the valley of the Xanthus were Patara, Xanthus itself, and, a little higher up, Pinara on the west and Tlos on the east side of the valley, while Araxa stood at the head of the valley, at the foot of the pass leading into the interior.Advertisement
- According to Strabo the principal towns in the league were Xanthus, Patara, Pinara, Olympus, Myra and Tlos; each of these had three votes in the general assembly, while the other towns had only two or one.
- In the 3rd century the great St Nicholas, born at Patara, was its bishop, and he died and was buried at Myra.
- Initiation included also an asylum or refuge within the strong walls of Samothrace, for which purpose it was used among others by Arsinoe, who, to show her gratitude, afterwards caused a monument to be erected there, the ruins of which were explored in 1 A grammarian of Patrae in Achaea (or Patara in Lycia), pupil of Eratosthenes (275-195 B.C.), and author of a periplus and a collection of Delphic oracles.
- This is as perfect as those of Myra and Patara, but larger than either, and yields the palm only to those of Aspendus and Side.