Parthenius sentence example
- In another legend he was blinded by Oenopion of Chios for having violated his daughter Merope; but having made his way to the place where the sun rose, he recovered his sight (Hyginus, loc. cit.; Parthenius, Erotica, 20).
- The northern half is drained by rivers which run to the Black Sea; of these the eastern ones, Porsuk Su (Tembris or Tembrogius), Seidi Su (Parthenius), Bardakchi Tchai (Xerabates), and Bayat Tchai (Alandrus), join the Sangarius, while the western,2 Taushanly Tchai (Rhyndacus) and Simav Tchai (Macestus), meet and flow into the Propontis.
- According to Strabo, the river Parthenius formed the western limit of the region, which was bounded on the east by the Halys.
- In both these poems, the language of which was so obscure that they required special commentaries, his model appears to have been Parthenius of Nicaea.
- Various aetiological explanations of the name Parthenius were given by the ancients, e.g.Advertisement
- The praetorian guards had keenly resented the murder of their patron Domitian, and now, at the instigation of one of their two prefects, Casperius Aelianus, whom Nerva had retained in office, they imperiously demanded the execution of Domitian's murderers, the chamberlain Parthenius and Petronius Secundus, Aelianus's colleague.
- Amastris, a few miles east of the Parthenius, became important under the Macedonian monarchs; while Amisus, a colony of Sinope, situated a short distance east of the Halys, and therefore not strictly in Paphlagonia as defined by Strabo, rose to be almost a rival of its parent city.