Parris sentence example
- Ten girls, aged nine to seventeen years, two of them house servants, met during the winter of1691-1692in the home of Samuel Parris, pastor of the Salem Village church, and after learning palmistry and various "magic" tricks from Parris's West Indian slave, Tituba, and influenced doubtless by current talk about witches, accused Tituba and two old women of bewitching them.
- Those burned were George van Parris (1551), Flemish surgeon; Patrick Pakingham (1555), fellmonger; Matthew Hamont (1579), ploughwright; John Lewes (1583);(1583); Peter Cole (1587), tanner; Francis Kett (5589), physician and author; Bartholomew Legate (5652), cloth-dealer, last of the Smithfield victims; and the twice-burned fanatic Edward Wightman (1612).
- The celebrity columnists of the day, such as Hazlitt, Dickens and Thackeray could rival the likes of Jenkins, Parris and Littlejohn.
- Matthew Parris, in SaturdayÃ¢s Times, argued that Alan Milburn is a mere mouthpiece for Mr Blair.
- Chris was inspired by Matthew Parris in the Spectator (reg required but worth it, IMO).Advertisement
- Indeed, as Matthew Parris has pointed out, they resemble nothing more than unreconstructed Old Labor of the 1980s.