Parnellites sentence example
- When it was over the Liberal party was just short of the numerical strength which was requisite to defeat the combination of Tories and Parnellites.
- It was clear that if Gladstone meant what he appeared to mean, the Parnellites would support him, and the Tories must leave office.
- A general election followed in July, and 74 Liberal Unionists were returned, forming with the Conservatives a Unionist party, which outnumbered Gladstonians and Parnellites together by over a hundred.
- At the general election of 1892, however, only 9 Parnellites - the section which under Mr John Redmond remained staunch to his memory - were returned to parliament.
- The Liberal Unionists, whose extinction had once been so confidently foretold, had increased from 46 to 71, and the Parnellites, in spite of the most violent clerical opposition, from 9 to 12.Advertisement