Parnahyba sentence example
- It has a few miles of Atlantic coast-line on the N., and the Rio Parnahyba forms the boundary line with Maranhao throughout its entire length.
- Part of the state on the Atlantic coast and along the lower Parnahyba is low, swampy and malarial.
- This plateau region is watered by numerous tributaries of the Parnahyba, chief of which are the Urussuhy, the Caninde and its tributary the Piauhy, the Gurgueia and its tributary the Parahim, which drains the large inland lake of Parnagua, the Longa, and the Poty, which has its source in the state of Ceara.
- The Parnahyba is navigable for boats of 3 ft.
- The climate is hot and humid in the lowlands and along the lower Parnahyba, but in the uplands it is dry with high sun temperatures and cool nights.Advertisement
- The capital is Therezina, on the right bank of the Parnahyba, 250 m.
- North and parallel with its course is a low watershed, which separates its drainage basin both from that of the Sao Francisco and from that of the Parnahyba, the northern confluent of the Parana.
- The Sao Francisco chapadao, which has a general elevation of about 2600 ft., covers the greater part of the states of Minas Geraes and Bahia, and a small part of western Pernambuco, and might also be considered continuous with those of the Parnahyba and Tocantins-Araguaya basins.
- The Parnahyba chapadao covers the state of Piauhy, the southern part of Maranhao, and the western part of Ceara.
- The Amazonian chapadao, which includes the remainder of the great Brazilian plateau west of the Sao Francisco and Parnahyba regions and which appears to be the continuation of these tablelands westward, is much the largest of these plateau divisions.Advertisement
- Of these the Parnahyba is the most important, having a total length of about 900 m., broken at intervals by rapids and navigable in sections.
- Para, Parnahyba, Parahyba, Santos and Rio Grande do Sul are river ports situated near the sea on rivers having the same name; but, with the exception of Path and Santos, they are difficult of access and are of secondary importance.
- South-east of the Parnahyba the coast region becomes dryer and more sandy and the forests disappear.
- The Parnahyba forms the eastern boundary of Maranhao, but it has one large tributary, the Balsas, entirely within the state.
- Parnahyba is situated at the point where the most easterly of the delta outlets, or channels, called the Rio Iguarassu, branches off from the main stream.Advertisement
- Parnahyba is the commercial entrepot of the state.
- A steamboat service, with three small boats, maintains regular communication with Parnahyba, near the mouth of the river, besides which there are a number of independent freight-carrying boats.