Pappenheim sentence example
- The little fly-sheet of Zorn l - for it is scarcely more - on the birds of the Hercynian Forest made its appearance at Pappenheim in 1745.
- Dr Max Pappenheim has ascribed the origin of Germanic gilds to the northern "fosterbrotherhood" or "sworn-brotherhood," which was an artificial bond of union between two or more persons.
- The foster-brotherhood seems to have been unknown to the Franks and the Anglo-Saxons, the nations in which medieval gilds first appear; and hence Dr Pappenheim's conclusions, if tenable at all, apply only to Denmark or Scandinavia.
- In 1626, during the Thirty Years' War, Einbeck was taken by Pappenheim and in October 1641 by Piccolomini.
- of Leipzig, but becoming awe of the presence of Wallenstein's army near Liitzen, and that it had been weakened by a large detachment sent away under Pappenheim towards Halle, he turned towards Liitzen.Advertisement
- Wallenstein made ready to give battle on the following day and recalled Pappenheim.
- Gustavus had now to choose between proceeding to Grimma and fighting VV i allenstein on the chance that Pappenheim had not rejoined.
- Its left was not carried out as far as the Flossgraben in order to leave room on that flank for Pappenheim.
- The infantry in the centre was arrayed in the small and handy battalions then peculiar to Gustavus's army, the horse on either wing extended from opposite Li tzen to some distance beyond Wallenstein's left, which Pappenheim was to extend on his arrival.
- They were not charged by the Imperialists at this moment, for Pappenheim had not yet arrived, and the usual cavalry tactics of the day were founded on the pistol and not on the sword and the charging horse.Advertisement
- About three in the afternoon the Swedes were slowly bearing back Wallenstein's stubborn infantry when Pappenheim appeared.
- But Pappenheim fell in the moment of victory and his death disheartened the Imperialists almost as much as the fall of Gustavus had disheartened the Swedes.
- The infantry of Pappenheim's corps did not appear on the field until the battle was over.
- On the 14th of November 1626, Pappenheim completely defeated here the army of the rebellious peasants.
- The church of the monastery contains the tomb of the famous General Pappenheim.Advertisement
- Gottfried Heinrich, Count Pappenheim >>