Papinian sentence example
- There is nothing to show that he was a profound and philosophical jurist, like Papinian or Ulpian.
- Papinian >>
- Papinian, Ulpian and Paullus), while the military qualification fell more and more into the background.
- In Valentinian's Law of Citations he is classed with Papinian, Paulus, Gaius and Ulpian.
- and Valentinian III., which gave special weight to the writings of five eminent jurists (Papinian, Paulus, Ulpian, Modestinus, Gaius); but it was very far from removing it.Advertisement
- He made his first appearance in public life as assessor in the auditorium of Papinian and member of the council of Septimius Severus; under Caracalla he was master of the requests (magister libellorum).
- PAPINIAN (AEMILIUS PAPINIANUS), Roman jurist, was magister libellorum and afterwards praetorian prefect under Septimius Severus.
- Papinian tried to keep peace between the brothers, but with no better result than to excite the hatred of Caracalla, to which he fell a victim in the general slaughter of Geta's friends which followed the fratricide of A.D.
- The details are variously related, and have undergone legendary embellishment, but the murder of Papinian, which took place under Caracalla's own eyes, was one of the most disgraceful crimes of that tyrant.
- Little more is known about Papinian.Advertisement
- Papinian's place and work as a jurist are discussed under Roman Law.