Palmerstons sentence example
- The difficulties which had prevented his forming a ministry in the previous year were satisfactorily arranged, and Lord Palmerston accepted the seals of the foreign office, while Lord Grey was sent to the colonial office., The history of the succeeding years was destined, however, to prove that Lord Grey had had solid reasons for objecting to Lord Palmerstons return to his old post; for, whatever judgment may ultimately be formed on Lord Palmerstons foreign policy, there can be Little doubt that it did not tend to the maintenance of peace.
- The second occasion on which Lord Palmerstons vigorous liplomacy excited alarm arose out of the revolution which broke)ut almost universally in Europe in 1848.
- In London the Lords passed a vote of censure on Lord Palmerstons proceedings; and the Commons only sustained the minister by adopting a resolution approving in general terms the principles on which the foreign policy of the country had been conducted.
- Lord Palmerstons cabinet decided to approve and support Sir John Bowrings vigorous action.
- Lord Palmerstons administration was defeated on another issue before it succeeded in carrying the measure which it introduced for the purpose, though Lord Derbys second ministry, which succeeded it, was compelled to frame its proposals on somewhat similar lines.Advertisement
- He did not again attempt during Lord Palmerstons life to reintroduce the subject.
- Yet, on all the chief domestic questions whichcame befOre parliament in Lord Palmerstons second administration, Gladstone almost invariably took a more Liberal view than his chief.
- Soon afterwards, however, in the autumn of 1863, the death of the king of Denmark led to a new revolution in the north of Europe, in which Lord Palmerstons government displayed less resolution, and lost much of the prestige which it had acquired by its Italian policy.
- At last, in 1871, long after Lord Palmerstons death and Lord Russells retirement, a joint conimission Was appointed to examine into the many cases ofdispute WhIch had arisen between the United States andGreat Britain.
- In October 1865 Lord Palmerstons rule, which had been characterized by six years of ~olitical inaction at home and by constant disturbanCe abroad, w~s terminated by his Lord death.Advertisement