Palmata sentence example
- The famous Panama hats, fine qualities of which were at one time worth £20 to £30 each, are made from the leaves of the screw pine, Carludovica palmata.
- A purple toga with embroidery (toga pieta) was worn together with a gold-embroidered tunic (tunica palmata) by generals while celebrating a triumph and by magistrates presiding at games; it represented the traditional dress of the kings and was adopted by Julius Caesar as a permanent costume.
- The palm family is numerous and includes the species producing vegetable ivory (Phytelephas), straw for plaiting Panama hats (Carludovica palmata), and the peach palm (Guilielma speciosa).
- palmata, 2 ft., rosy-crimson; and S.
- Porphyra laciniata and Rhodymenia palmata are locally used as food, the latter being known as dulse.Advertisement
- Besides rubber, the forests produce a great variety of cabinet and construction woods, ivory-nuts (from the " tagua " palm, Phytelephas macrocarpa), " toquilla " fibre (Carludovica palmata) for the manufacture of so-called Panama hats, cabbage palms, several species of cinchona, vanilla and dyewoods.
- nitida, " by far the daintiest and most attractive of all its genus, and remarkably hardy"; Bambusa palmata, with leaves a foot or more long and three inches broad; B.
- The Colombian "Panama hat" is made from the fibres extracted from the ribs of the fanshaped leaves of still another species of palm, Carludovica palmata, while in the Rio Sinn region the natives make a kind of butter ("manteca de Corozo") from the Elaeis melanococca, Mart., by peeling the nuts in water and then purifying the oil extracted in this way by boiling.
- toga picta and a palmata tunica.
- It was the general celebrating a triumph in Rome who carried an ivory staff and wore a toga picta and a palmata tunica.Advertisement
- Arundinaria (Bambusa Palmata) - A beautiful species, about 5 feet high, conspicuous from the size of its leaves, which are often used by Japanese peasants to wrap up the bit of salt fish or other condiment which they eat with their rice.
- Bambusa Palmata Tessellata - A very beautiful species having the largest leaves of any of the hardy Bamboos.
- The variety palmata has the branchlets and frequently the petioles red.