Pallavas sentence example
- In 655 the Chalukya power was restored by Pulakesin's son Vikramaditya I.; but the struggle with the Pallavas continued until, in 740, Vikramaditya II.
- 642 he was defeated by the Pallavas of Conjeeveram, and though his son Vikramaditya I.
- During those four centuries their history is I t intertwined with that of the Pallavas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas and other minor dynasties.
- The name of the Pallavas appears to be identical with that of the Pahlavas, a foreign tribe, frequently mentioned in inscriptions and Sanskrit literature.
- It is supposed, therefore, that the Pallavas came from the north, and gradually worked their way down to Malabar and the Coromandel coast.Advertisement
- The Pallavas appear, like the Mahrattas in later times, to have imposed tribute on the territorial governments of the country.
- Two centuries later Samudragupta conquered eleven kings of the south, of whom three were Pallavas.
- 620 a prince named Vishnuvardhana founded the Eastern Chalukya line in the province of Vengi, which was taken from the Pallavas.
- 642 the Pallavas defeated in turn Pulikesin II.
- The conflict became perennial, and when the Rashtrakutas supplanted the Chalukyas in the middle of the 8th century, they took up the old quarrel with the Pallavas.Advertisement
- Meanwhile the Chalukyas, after successfully struggling with the Pallavas (whose capital was taken by Vikramaditya II., c. 740), had in their turn succumbed to their ancient rivals the Rashtrakutas, who succeeded 1 V.