Palaye sentence example
- de Lacurne de Sainte Palaye, Memoires sur l'Ancienne Chevalerie, i.
- And when it was considered that he had made sufficient advancement in his military accomplishments, he took his sword to the priest, who laid it on the altar, blessed it, and returned it to him.4 Afterwards he either remained with his early master, relegating most of his domestic duties to his younger companions, or he entered the service of some valiant and adventurous lord or 1 Sainte Palaye, Memoires, i.
- 2 Sainte Palaye, Memoires, pt.
- Sainte Palaye, Memoires, i.
- when the order of Baronets As may be gathered from Selden, Favyn, La Colombiers, Menestrier and Sainte Palaye, there were several differences of detail in the ceremony at different times and in different places.Advertisement
- ' O n the Continent very elaborate ceremonies, partly heraldic and partly religious, were observed in the degradation of 'a knight, which are described by Sainte Palaye, Memoires, i.
- Even in the 12th century, when war was still rather the pastime of kings and knights than Sainte Palaye, ii.
- But in 1741 the well-known medievalist La Curne de St Palaye found at Lucca a manuscript of the 16th century, evidently representing an older text than any yet printed.
- 2 Du Cange, Dissertation sur Joinville, xxi.; Sainte Palaye, Memoires, i.
- and Edward IV., have garters on their left arms. (See further under " Orders of Knighthood " below.) It has been the general opinion, as expressed by Sainte Palaye and Mills, that formerly all knights were qualified to confer knighthood.Advertisement