Palatina sentence example
- soldiers; Salii seniores and Salii juniores are mentioned in the Notitia dignitatusn, and Salii appear among the auxilia palatina.
- Besides the forum Stukeley suggested the sites of seven other buildings - the Arx Palatina guarding the south-eastern angle of the city where the Tower now stands, the grove and temple of Diana on the site of St Paul's, &c. No traces of any of these buildings have been found, and they are therefore purely conjectural.
- at the top, is well known, inasmuch as they were standing till about 1600; and the north gate, the Porta Palatina, still exists; it has a double opening, and two orders of arches above, and is flanked by two sixteen-sided brick towers.
- The Capella Palatina, at Palermo, the most wonderful of Roger's churches, with Norman doors, Saracenic arches, Byzantine dome, and roof adorned with Arabic scripts, is perhaps the most striking product of the brilliant and mixed civilization over which the grandson of the Norman Trancred ruled.
- Charles invited him to France soon after his accession to the throne, probably in the year 843, and placed him at the head of the court school (schola palatina).Advertisement
- In 1623 it was sent to Rome by Maximilian I., duke of Bavaria, and stored as the Bibliotheca Palatina in the Vatican.
- But far the best example of the style is the chapel of the king's palace (cappella palatina), at the west end of the city.
- His epitaph, written by himself, is to be found in Anthologia palatina, vii.
- For the Porta Palatina and other remains of the ancient city walls see below.