Pakhoi sentence example
- Oriental plague was observed in the Chinese province of Yunnan from 1871, and also at Pakhoi, a port in the Tongking Gulf, in 1882 - being said to have prevailed there at least fifteen years.
- At Pakhoi it recurs nearly every year.'
- In 1880 therefore plague existed or had existed within ten years, in the following parts of the world: (I) Benghazi, Africa; (2) Persian Kurdistan; (3) Irak, on the Tigris and Euphrates; (4) the Asir country, western Arabia; (5) on the lower Volga, Russia; (6) northern Persia and the shores of the Caspian; (7) Kumaon and Gurhwal, India; (8) Yunnan and Pakhoi, China.
- 2, for halfyear ended the 31st of March 1878, 15th issue (Shanghai); Lowry, " Notes on Epidemic Disease at Pakhoi " (1882), ibid., 24th issue, p. 31.
- Plague was recognized at Hong Kong in May 1894, and there can be little doubt that it was imported from Canton, where a violent outbreak-said to have caused ioo,000 deaths-was in progress a few months earlier, being part of an extensive wave of infection which is believed to have come originally out of the province of Yunnan, one of the recognized endemic centres, and to have invaded a large number of places in that part of China, including Pakhoi and other seaports.Advertisement
- Canton, Swatow, K`iung-chow (in Hainan), Pakhoi, San-shui are among the treaty ports.