Paeligni sentence example
- Paeligni >>
- They are first mentioned as members of a confederacy with the Vestini, Paeligni and Marrucini (Liv.
- See further PAELIGNI and SABINI, and for the inscriptions and further details, R.
- PAELIGNI, a people of ancient Italy, first mentioned as a member of a confederacy which included the Marsi, Marrucini and Vestini (qq.v.), with which the Romans came into conflict in the second Samnite War, 325 B.C. (Lw.
- For the history of the Paeligni after go B.C. see the references given in C. ix.Advertisement
- from the sea, was the site of the ancient Interpromium, a town belonging probably to the Paeligni; and not far off is the very fine Cistercian abbey church of S.
- teda in Umbrian alphabet = dirsa in Latin alphabet (see below), "let him give," exactly equivalent to Paelignian dida (see Paeligni).
- It is first mentioned in history as a member of a confederacy with which the Romans came into conflict in the second Samnite War, 325 B.C., and it entered the Roman Alliance as a separate unit at the end of that war (see further Paeligni).
- We know something of the language of the Marrucini from an inscription known as the "Bronze of Rapino," which belongs to about the middle of the 3rd century B.C. It is written in Latin alphabet, but in a dialect which belongs to the North Oscan group (see Paeligni).