Orderic sentence example
- He knew, says Orderic, more about marshalling mailed knights than edifying psalm-singing clerks.
- See Orderic Vitalis, Historia ecclesiastics, vols.
- His researches were by no means profound; he gives us less of the history of his own time than we have a right to expect - far less, for example, than Orderic. He is, however, an authority of considerable value from 1 066 onwards; many telling anecdotes, many shrewd judgments on persons and events, can be gleaned from his pages.
- Orderic was the eldest son of his parents.
- But the young Orderic felt for some time, as he tells us, like Joseph in a strange land.Advertisement
- Thus Orderic, though he witnessed no great events, was often well informed about them.
- In this section, after sketching the history of France under the Carolingians and early Capets, Orderic takes up the events of his own times, starting from about 1082.