Oppianicus sentence example
- In 74 B.C. he accused his stepfather Statius Albius Oppianicus of an attempt to poison him;.
- Oppianicus and two others were condemned, and some years later Oppianicus died in exile.
- In 66, Sassia induced her stepson Oppianicus to charge Cluentius with having caused the elder Oppianicus to be poisoned while in exile.
- His efforts are chiefly devoted to proving that the condemnation of the elder Oppianicus was just and in no way the result of the jury having been bribed by Cluentius; only a small portion of the end of the speech deals with the specific charge.
- But even if it could be shown that Cluentius had bribed the jurymen, this did not prove that he had poisoned Oppianicus, although it supplied a sufficient reason for wishing to get him out of the way.Advertisement