Ophrys sentence example
- In England, the following species are confined or almost confined to calcareous soils: A splenium Ruta-muraria, Melica nutans, Carex digitata, Aceras anthropophora, Ophrys ap~ifera, Thalictrum minus, Helianthemum Chamaecislus, Viola hirta, Linum perenne, Geranium lucidum, Hippocrepis comosa, Potentiila verna, Viburnum Lantana, Galium asperum (= G.
- The order is well represented in Britain by 18 genera, which include several species of Orchis: Gymnadenia (fragrant orchis), Habenaria (butterfly and frog orchis), Aceras (man orchis), Hermin- ium (musk orchis), Ophrys (bee, spider and fly orchis), Epipactis (Helleborine), Cephalanthera, Neottia (bird's-nest orchis), one of the few saprophytic genera, which have no green leaves, but derive their nourishment from decaying organic matter in the soil, Listens (Tway blade), Spiranthes (lady's tresses), Malaxis (bog-orchis), Liparis (fen-orchis), Corallorhiza (coral root), also a saprophyte, and Cypripedium (lady's slipper), represented by a single species now very rare in limestone districts in the north of England.
- Ophrys fusca, Link.
- We saw a roadside Woodcock Orchid Ophrys scolopax and had a fine view of a Short-toed Eagle flying over.
- The most important are the following: Ophrydineae, with about 45 genera, of terrestrial orchids, mainly north temperate, including the British genera Orchis, Aceras, Ophrys, Herminium, Gymnadenia and Habenaria.Advertisement
- Ophrys - Small terrestrial Orchids, singularly beautiful, and among the most curious of plants.