Ophois sentence example
- There were two types of canine divinities in Egypt, their leading representatives being respectively Anubis and Ophois (W p-w;-wt, " opener of the ways"): the former type is symbolized by the recumbent animal the other by a similar animal (in a stiff standing attitude), carried as an emblem on a standard in war or in religious processions.
- In late days the Greeks report that KuvES (dogs) were the sacred animals of Anubis while those of Ophois were Aukoc (wolves).
- In a few ances this may have come about by the emphasizing of a ly primitive trait; as when the wolf Ophois, in consonance I the predatory nature of that animal, developed into a of war.
- The worship here was of the jackal god Upuaut (Ophois, Wepwoi), who "opened the way" to the realm of the dead, increasing from the Ist dynasty to the time of the XIIth dynasty and then disappearing after the XVIIIth.
- Here were worshipped two canine gods (see ANUBIS), Ophois (Wepwoi) being the principal god of the city, while Anubis apparently presided over the necropolis.Advertisement