Oneonta sentence example
- It is served by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western railway, and by the Oneonta & Mohawk Valley electric line connecting with the New York Central railway at Herkimer.
- For the training of teachers for the elementary schools the state maintains ten normal schools at Oswego (1863), Cortland (1866), Fredonia (1866), Potsdam (1866), Geneseo (1867), Brockport (1867), Buffalo (1867), New Paltz (1885), Oneonta (1887) and Plattsburg (1890); it also appropriates $700 annually for each teachers' training class in about one hundred of the secondary schools.
- ONEONTA, a city in the township of the same name, in the south-central part of Otsego county, New York, U.S.A., on the N.
- It is served by the Ulster & Delaware, by the Susquehanna division of the Delaware & Hudson, and by the Oneonta & Mohawk Valley (electric) railways.
- In Oneonta are a state normal school (1889), a state armoury, and the Aurelia Fox Memorial Hospital.Advertisement
- The principal manufactures are machineshop products (the Delaware & Hudson has repair and machine shops at Oneonta), knit goods, silk goods, lumber and planing mill products, &c. The first settlement was made about 1780.
- Oneonta was known as Milfordville until 1830, when it received its present name.
- The name "Oneonta" is derived from Onahrenton or Onarenta, the Indian name of a creek flowing through the city.
- (Oneonta, 1902); and Dudley M.
- Campbell, A History of Oneonta (Oneonta, 1906).Advertisement