Oncken sentence example
- On one point both friends and enemies agree, and that is his brusquerie and his want of tact in the management of men; Oncken points out with some reason the "schoolmasterish" tone of his letters, even to the king.
- Oncken, to take the extreme of condemnation, looks upon him as a bad physiocrat and a confused thinker, while Leon Say considers that he was the founder of modern political economy, and that "though he failed in the 18th century he triumphed in the 1 9th."
- Oncken's Lassalle (Stuttgart, 1904); another excellent work on his life and writings is George Brandes's Danish work, Ferdinand Lassalle (German translation, 4th ed., Leipzig, 1900).
- Oncken (Frankfort, 1888); a facsimile reprint of the Tableau economique, from the original MS., was published by the British Economic Association (London, 1895).
- Then turning to a wider theme Prutz contributed to Oncken's university history the two volumes on the political history of Europe during the middle ages (Staatengeschichte des Abendlandes im Mittelalter, Berlin, 1885-1887).Advertisement
- Oncken (1800-1884) formed the first church in Hamburg in 1834, and thereafter Baptist churches were formed in other countries as follows:- Denmark (1839), Holland and Sweden (1848), Switzerland (1849), Norway (1860), Austria and Rumania (1869), Hungary (1871), and Bulgaria (1884).
- Thus the great enterprises of to-day are co-operative - the Cambridge Modern History, Lavisse and Rambaud's Histoire generale, or Lavisse's Histoire de France, like Hunt and Poole's Political History of England, and Oncken's Allgemeine Geschichte in Einzeldarstellungen.
- See Oncken, Stadt, Schloss and Hochschule Heidelberg; Bilder aus ihrer Vergangenheit (Heidelberg, 1885); Ochelhauser, Das Heidelberger Schloss, bauand kunstgeschichtlicher Fi hrer (Heidelberg, 1902); Pfaff, Heidelberg and Umgebung (Heidelberg, 1902); ?.??'.??_??