Ohrwalder sentence example
- Here also were imprisoned the European captives of the Mandists - notably Slatin Pasha and Father Ohrwalder.
- The escape from Omdurman of Father Ohrwalder and of two of the captive nuns in December 1891, of Father Rossignoli in October 1894, and of Siatin Bey in February 1895, revealed the condition of the Sudan to the outside world, threw a vivid light on the rule of the khalif a, and corroborated information already received of the discontent which existed among the tribes with the oppression and despotism under which they lived.
- so strong a light of the character of the khalifas despotism in the Sudan and the miserable condition of his misgoverned people, as detailed in the accounts of their captivity at Omdurman by Father Ohrwalder and Slatin Bey (published in 1892 and 1896), stirred public opinion in Great Britain, and brought the question of the recovery of the Sudan into prominence.
- Ohrwalder (from the MSS.
- Wingate (1891); Ten Years' Captivity in the Mandi's Camp (1882-1892) from the MS. of Father Joseph Ohrwalder by F.Advertisement
- Both Ohrwalder and Slatin were personally acquainted with the mandi, and their narratives contain much first-hand information.