Odontornithes sentence example
- This primitive condition occurs only in the Odontornithes, Ratitae and Tinami; in all others this notch becomes converted into a foramen ischiadicum, through which pass the big stems of the ischiadic nerves and most of the bloodvessels of the hind-limb.
- They were placed by Marsh in a distinct subclass of birds,Odontornithes.
- In 1880 Marsh brought out Odontornithes, a monograph of the extinct toothed birds of North America.
- Marsh states that he had fully satisfied himself that Archaeopteryx belonged to the Odontornithes, which he thought it advisable for the present to regard as a subclass, separated into three orders - Odontolcae, Odontotormae and Saururae - all well marked, but evidently not of equal rank, the last being clearly much more widely distinguished from the first two than they are from one another.
- The swimming Hesperornis (see Odontornithes) was also devoid of such a structure.Advertisement
- The most important result is the proof that, until the end of the Cretaceous epoch, most, if not all, birds were still possessed of teeth (see Odontornithes) .