Odipe sentence example
- He there recast Odipe, began the Henriade and determined to alter his name.
- In 1732 another tragedy, Eriphile, appeared, with the same kind of halting success which had distinguished the appearance of its elder sisters since Odipe.
- In 1659 Fouquet, the Maecenas of the time, persuaded him to alter his resolve, and Odipe, a play which became a great favourite with Louis XIV., was the result.
- He was no "dedicator," and the occasional presents of rich men, such as Montauron (who gave him a thousand, others say two hundred, pistoles for the dedication of Cinna), and Fouquet (who commissioned Odipe), were few and far between, though they have exposed him to reflections which show great ignorance of the manners of the age.
- Odipe is certainly unworthy of its subject and its author, but in Sertorius we have one of Corneille's finest plays.Advertisement