Octavianus sentence example
- He died in 41, while stationed with his army at the foot of the Alps, just as he was on the point of marching against Octavianus.
- On landing he learnt that Caesar had made him his heir and adopted him into the Julian gens, whereby he acquired the designation of Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus.
- Octavianus conducted himself with consummate adroitness, making use of all competitors for power, but assisting none.
- The soldiers of Octavianus demanded the consulship for him, and the senate, though now much alarmed, could not prevent his election.
- Octavianus and Antonius crossed the Adriatic in 42 B.C. to reduce the last defenders of the republic. Brutus and Cassius were defeated, and fell at the battle of Philippi.Advertisement
- But Octavianus could not allow the capital to be kept in alarm for its daily sustenance.
- Lepidus was an object of contempt to all parties, and Octavianus and Antonius remained to fight for supreme power.