Oconnell sentence example
- 1823 of the Catholic Association, which Laws, under the brilliant leadership of Daniel OConnell established in Ireland a national organization that threatened the ~ery basis of the government.
- In May 1828, on the initiative of Lord John Russell, the Test and Corporation Acts were repealed; in the same session a Corn Bill, differing but little from those that Wellington had hitherto opposed, was passed; and finally, after a strenuous agitation which culminated in the election of OConnell for Clare, and in spite of the obstinate resistance of King George IV., the Catholic Emancipation Bill was passed (April 10, 18 29) by a large majority.
- The Irish, under OConnell, had constantly supported the Whig ministry of Lord Melbourne.
- They further decided in 1843 to place OConnell and some of the leading agitators on their trial for conspiracy and sedition.
- It was also interesting to reflect that Gladstone had begun life as a Conservative, and had only gradually moved to the ranks of the Liberal party; while Disraeli had fought his first election under the auspices of OConnell and Hume, had won his spurs by his attacks on Sir Robert Peel, and had been only reluctantly adopted by the Conservatives as their leader in the House of Commons.Advertisement