Ochus sentence example
- At the same time, his sons were quarrelling about the succession; one of them, Ochus, induced the father by a series of intrigues to condemn to death three of his older brothers, who stood in his way.
- The chronographers generally retain the name Ochus, and in the Babylonian inscriptions he is called "Umasu, who is called Artakshatsu."
- The book in its fuller form was most probably written in the 2nd century B.C. The writer places his romance two centuries earlier, in the time of Ochus, as we may reasonably infer from the attack made by Holofernes and Bagoas on Judaea; for Artaxerxes Ochus made an expedition against Phoenicia and Egypt in 350 B.C., in which his chief generals were Holofernes and Bagoas.
- Ochus, determined to reduce Egypt.
- A first expedition was defeated by the Greek mercenaries of Nekhtnebf, ~ut a second, commanded by Ochus himself, subdued Egypt with no further resistance than that of the Greek garrison of Felusium.Advertisement
- Ochus treated his conquest barbarously.
- His successor, Artaxerxes Ochus, succeeded yet again in restoring the empire in its full extent.
- Most of them, and these 1 longest, date from the time of Darius, but we have specims as late as Artaxerxes Ochus.
- Ochus (359-338), Egypt, Phoenicia and Cyprus were in revolt; the rising was quelled without mercy, and the details of the vengeance are valuable for the possible fate of Palestine itself.
- Chares sought to replenish his resources by aiding the Phrygian satrap Artabazus against Artaxerxes Ochus, but a threat from the Persian court caused the Athenians to recall him, and peace was made by which Athens recognized the independence of the revolted towns.Advertisement