Ochakov sentence example
- The second-class fortresses are Kronstadt and Sveaborg in the Gulf of Finland, Ivangorod in Poland, Libau on the Baltic Sea, Kerch on the Black Sea and Vladivostok on the Pacific. In the third class are Viborg in Finland, Ossovets and Ust Dvinsk (or Dunamunde) in Lithuania, Sevastopol and Ochakov on the Black Sea, and Kars and Batum in Caucasia.
- By the peace of Jassy, signed in January 1792, she retained Ochakov and the coast between the Bug and the Dniester, and she secured certain privileges for the Danubian principalities, but the Turks remained in Constantinople, and the realization of the famous Greek project, as it was termed, had to be indefinitely postponed.
- Only after Suvarov had valiantly defended Kinburn did he take heart again, and besiege and capture Ochakov and Bender.
- Both these places fell; and in July of the following year Munnich captured Ochakov.
- But the Ottomans, though the negotiations continued throughout 1738, were in no hurry to come to terms; for the tide of war had turned against both Austrians and Russians; Ochakov and Kinburn were recaptured; and the victorious Turks crossed the Danube and penetrated far into the Banat.Advertisement
- Russia, however, retained the fortresses of Kerch, Yenikale and Kinburn, with the desert country between the Bug and the Dnieper, while Ochakov was left to the Turks.
- After a long siege Ochakov fell to Potemkin, and all its inhabitants were massacred.
- 9, 1792) by which the Crimea and Ochakov were left to Russia, the Dniester was made the frontier in Europe, and the Asiatic frontier remained unchanged.
- of Sweden also attacked Russia, with 50,000 men, while in the south the Turks held the Muscovites at bay beneath the walls of Ochakov, and drove back the Austrian invaders into Transylvania.
- Turkey held her own against the Austrians, but in 1788 Ochakov fell to the Russians.Advertisement
- OCHAKOV, a fortified town and port of Russia, in the government of Kherson, 41 m.
- Strong fortifications have been built at Ochakov and on the Kinburn promontory, to protect the entrance to the Dnieper.
- Ochakov stands close to the site of the old Miletan (Greek) colony of Olvia and the Greek colony of Alektor.
- Ochakov >>
- On this ramifying liman, into which the Bug also pours its waters, stand Nikolaiev and the fortified town of Ochakov.Advertisement
- In 1791 Khaji-bey and the Ochakov region were ceded to Russia.
- south of the Ochakov mouth of the Kilia, and 20 m.
- Only those things he always kept with him remained in his room; a small box, a large canteen fitted with silver plate, two Turkish pistols and a saber--a present from his father who had brought it from the siege of Ochakov.