Occidentalis sentence example
- Elsewhere it is only represented by P. occidentalis, the largest tree of the Atlantic forests from Maine to Oregon, and by P. oriental is in the eastern Mediterranean.
- These differences have given rise to a supposed multiplicity of species, expressed by the names C. lycaon (Central Europe), C. laniger and C. niger (Tibet), the C. occidentalis, C. nubilus, C. mexicanus, &c., of North America, and the great blackish-brown Alaskan C. pambasileus, the largest of them all.
- P. occidentalis, a five-leaved pine with pale-green foliage and small ovate cones, is found on the high mountains of Santo Domingo and Cuba.
- Thuja occidentalis is the Western or American arbor vitae, the Cupressus Arbor Vitae of old authors.
- Sequoia sempervirens (redwood), Thuja occidentalis, &c. The leaves of conifers are characterized by their small size, e.g.Advertisement
- In the North American area Picea alba, P. nigra, Larix americana, Abies balsamea (balsam fir), Thuja canadensis (hemlock spruce), Pinus Strobus (Weymouth pine), Thuja occidentalis (white cedar), Taxus canadensis are characteristic species.
- Among the birds of prey may be mentioned, besides the cinereous and bearded vultures, the Spanish vulture(Gyps occidentalis), the African or Egyptian vulture (Neophron percnopteras), which is found among all the mountains of the Peninsula, the Spanish imperial eagle (Aquila Adalberti), the short-toed eagle (Circaetus gallicus), the southern eagle-owl (Bubo atheniensis), and various kites and falcons.
- A still hardier mountaineer is the Sierra juniper (Juniperus occidentalis ), growing mostly on domes and ridges and glacier pavements.
- Tabanus occidentalis was understandably the biggest culprit, tho six other species had trypanosomes in their bloodmeals.
- Among other cultivated kinds are japonica, viridis, cordifolia, barbata, occidentalis, oregona, and serrulata, all of easy culture.Advertisement
- Among a crowd of synonyms, the following are the names:-C. australis, caucasica, glabrata, japonica, mississipiensis, occidentalis, and Tournefortii.
- The true Western Plane, P. occidentalis, is rarely seen in Europe outside of botanical gardens, and, when it is, it has little of the beautiful vigour of the Oriental Plane in England.
- A Californian species, named A. occidentalis, is distinct from the deciduous Azaleas, as it flowers after the others are past.
- Tea tree oil (Melaleuca spp.), thuja (Thuja occidentalis), and lavender (Lavandula officinalis) are the most common.
- Soak the wart in water, put cross-hatches over it with a sterile needle, and apply drops of thuja (Thuja occidentalis) tincture onto the wart.Advertisement