Nilson sentence example
- Nilson, and subsequently (1904) by Hall, rendered notable additions to our knowledge of these elements and their compounds.
- In 1878 Marignac, having subjected Mosander's erbia, obtained from gadolinite, to a careful examination, announced the presence of a new element, ytterbium; this discovery was confirmed by Nilson, who in the following year discovered another element, scandium, in Marignac's ytterbia.
- Nilson and Pettersson's observations on beryllium and germanium have shown that the atomic heats of these metals increase with rise of temperature, finally becoming constant with a value 5.6.
- It is a malleable metal, of specific gravity 1.64 (Nilson and Pettersson) and a specific heat of 0.4079.
- Its vapour density has been determined by Nilson and Pettersson, and corresponds to the molecular formula BeC12.Advertisement
- Kriiss and Nilson derived the value 230.7 (H = I) from analyses of the carefully purified sulphate.
- Nilson (Ber., 1874, 7, p. 1719) digests the well-washed chamber mud with a moderately concentrated solution of potassium cyanide, whereby the element goes into solution in the form of potassium selenocyanide, KSe(CN), from which it is precipitated by hydrochloric acid.