Nikayas sentence example
- The Sutta Pitaka consists of five Nikayas, four principal and one supplementary.
- These four Nikayas, sixteen volumes in all, are the main authorities for the doctrines of early Buddhism.
- Professor Rhys Davids has put forward similar views with respect to the Jatakas and the Sutta Nipata in his Buddhist India, and with respect to the Nikayas in general in the introduction to his Dialogues of the Buddha.
- It seems probable that the Vinaya and the four Nikayas were put substantially into the shape in which we now have them before the council at Vesali, a hundred years after the Buddha's death; that slight alterations and additions were made in them, and the miscellaneous Nikaya and the Abhidhamma books completed, at various times down to the third council under Asoka; and that the canon was then considered closed.
- When the Buddha died these sayings were collected together by his disciples into what they call the Four Nikayas, or "collections."Advertisement
- 24 a of slight additions made to this Nikaya as late as the time of Asoka, 3rd century B.C. And the developed doctrine, found in certain portions of it, shows that these are later than the four old Nikayas.
- These books remained the only authorities for about five centuries, but they all, except only our extant Pali Nikayas, have been lost in India.
- It is very likely just this consideration which led to the compilation of the two following Nikayas.
- And finally the suttantas were grouped together into the two Nikayas, and the suttas and episodes separately into the two others.
- A number of such efforts, after the Nikayas had been closed, were included in a supplementary Nikaya called the Khuddaka Nikaya.Advertisement
- There have also been added to the canonical books seven works on A bhidhamma, a more elaborate and more classified exposition of the Dhamma or doctrine as set out in the Nikayas.