Nieuport sentence example
- Nieuport >>
- 10, by which date, by damming the lower reaches of the Yser and opening the sluices between Dixmude and Nieuport, a large flooded area was placed between the two armies.
- By a bold march across Flanders, Maurice reached Nieuport on the 1st of July, and proceeded to invest it.
- (4) Among special schools may be named the three schools of navigation at Antwerp, Ostend and Nieuport.
- The chief military event of the early years of their reign was the battle of Nieuport (2nd of July 1600), in which Maurice of Nassau defeated the archduke Albert, and the siege of Ostend, which after a threeears' heroic defence was surrendered year Y (20th of September 1604) to the archduke's general, Spinola.Advertisement
- These were, indeed, partly restored to Belgium by the peace of Nijmwegen (1679); but on the other hand it lost Valenciennes, Nieuport, St Omer, Ypres and Charlemont, which were only in part recovered by the peace of Ryswick (1697).
- BARRIER TREATY, the name given first to the treaty signed on 29th of October 1709 between Great Britain and the statesgeneral of the United Netherlands, by which the latter engaged to guarantee the Protestant succession in England in favour of the house of Hanover; while Great Britain undertook to procure for the Dutch an adequate barrier on the side of the Netherlands, consisting of the towns of Furnes, Nieuport, Ypres, Menin, Lille, Tournai, Conde, Valenciennes, Maubeuge, Charleroi, Namur, Halle, Damme, Dendermond and the citadel of Ghent.