Nicolet sentence example
- On the coming of the first European, Jean Nicolet, who visited the place in 1634-1635, De Pere was the site of a polyglot Indian settlement of several thousand attracted by the fishing at the first rapids of the Fox river.
- The first white man to visit the site of Menasha was probably Jean Nicolet, who seems to have come in the winter of1634-1635and to have found here villages of Fox and Winnebago Indians.
- Jean Nicolet, an experienced explorer, was sent west by Samuel de Champlain, the governor-general of New France, in the summer of 1634 to investigate mysterious rumours of a people known as "the men of the sea" who were thought by some to be Tatars or Chinese.
- 2 After a long and difficult journey into a region which he seems to have been the first white man to enter, Nicolet landed on the soil of Wisconsin at a point on Green Bay about 10 m.
- See also Auguste Gosselin, Jean Nicolet z618 - 1642 (1893); B.Advertisement