Newlyn sentence example
- The chief centre, however, of the fishery in the west of England is at Newlyn, near Penzance, where the small local sailing boats are outnumbered by hundreds of large boats, both sail and steam, which come chiefly from Lowestoft for the season.
- Three miles north-east is the urban district of Ludgvan (pop. 2274), and to the south is Paul (6332), which includes the village of Newlyn.
- NEWLYN, a village in the St Ives parliamentary division of Cornwall, England, on the shore of Mount's Bay, I m.
- The picturesque appearance of the village, with its quays and little harbour, and the grandeur of the cliffs and moorland scenery towards Land's End, make Newlyn an attractive spot.
- The earlier artists at Newlyn were said to have selected it as their centre, because a greyness in the atmosphere helped their depiction of subtleties in tone, part of their creed being subordination of colour to tone-gradation.Advertisement
- In later times, the element of a common ideal tended to disappear, but the interest of the "Newlyn school" attracted a regular art-colony, who in various ways assimilated and expressed the picturesque influences of the place (see Painting: Recent British).
- There is a permanent Art Gallery, containing examples of the work of the Newlyn artists.
- Newlyn ward in the urban district of Paul (pop. 6332) had in 1901 a population of 3749.
- Located on the western edge of Penzance, Newlyn is home to the largest fleet of fishing boats in the South of England.
- gaugeation of the Newlyn tide gage, UK © What is GLOSS?Advertisement
- Newlyn is a colorful and bustling hive of activity, as it is a working fishing village.
- located on the western edge of Penzance, Newlyn is home to the largest fleet of fishing boats in the South of England.
- Newlyn has been exporting salted pilchards to Italy since c.1550.
- To the east is Newlyn, the largest fishing port in the South West.
- western edge of Penzance, Newlyn is home to the largest fleet of fishing boats in the South of England.Advertisement